Sunday, January 10, 2010

you're funny.

i did improv in college. (did you know this? have i mentioned this?) everyone always says to me "oh, i could never do improv! it's so scary! how do you 'be funny' on command?" to which i say: i felt the same way. until i jumped onstage and went for it, and had the time of my life.

i was fortunate enough to get involved with an incredibly talented group of improvisers, who became more than friends, became my family. it is the one thing i miss more than anything else (except for my girlfriends who live in chicago), and the one thing that i could (more easily than say, those far-flung friends) get back if i really tried. i need to stop missing, and start doing.

i took my mother and sister to the UCB theater last night for a show (death by roo roo--they're very funny, i'd seen them before so i knew what to recommend.) every time i go there, i'm reminded that i should be taking classes, should be working my way through their system, should be auditioning and eventually performing. i was good at improv in college. i don't say that to brag; i loved it, and i worked at it, and i was good at it. and i miss it.

i learned last year that no one but me can make me go after the things i want. so i'm keeping myself accountable to my new year's resolution and plan to take a class. i'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

swonderful said...

I saw you and you WERE good. You should totally get back into it.

I was thinking last night as I was falling asleep that I need to find your email address and say hi and when I woke up I had a comment from you. One of those funny things.