Wednesday, November 7, 2007

i heart nerds

i really do. i love nerds, i always have, i always will. i have crushed on bike nerds, theatre nerds, political nerds. s is a computer/video game/audio technology (in a hot way). and even when i am not attracted to nerds, i still appreciate them, and am thankful that they are there, obsessing over their niche interests, laughing their nasally nerd laughs and generally making me glad that some people are that comfortable in their own skin.

yesterday i was on a packed f headed home from work and a group of jewish nerds (my favorite kind) got on. they were talking about the onion, about how clever and contemporary it is, specifically referencing a recent controversy over the tongue-in-cheek article about the l.l.bean boycott. then they discussed the onion's political satire and how dead on it usually was, and then one of them said "the onion is a tidy little zeitgeist." he actually used the word zeitgeist. (which is defined as "general trend of thought or feeling characteristic of a particular period of time".) it is rare that i think that someone on the train is smarter than me, and it made me smile. he had the best nerd laugh, too. a man after my own heart.

4 comments:

m said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

oh no. do I have to turn up the nerd?

64 WPM said...

Sigh. Nothing says lovin' like a brilliant, nerdy Jewish boy... especially when he's wearing an ironic t-shirt, girl's jeans and pumas.

Be still my heart.

m said...

your nerd is loud enough my dearest.