Tuesday, March 18, 2008

really magical new york

new york from above looks like jewels, if you had strands upon strands of tiny twinkly gems of every color that you could toss in the air and let land as they wished, criss-crossing or spreading out and always, always shining.

new york from above looks like ropes of christmas lights hung by a well-meaning grandfather (sometimes in a pattern and sometimes what can gently be described as abstract) and viewed through squinted eyes, or maybe eyes bright with tears from the beauty of it all.

new york from above looks too precious to be real, like the night sky in cartoons, all bright pin-pointed promise.

new york from above looks like the grains of sand still trapped in the cuff of my warm vacation denim, golden grains cascading across dark indigo, reminding me from whence i return.

i have all sorts of things to say about my beyond-lovely vacation, but as we flew in tonight, and i was thinking about the hassle of finding a cab and getting home and going back to work tomorrow and needing to do laundry (and on and on and on), i looked out the window and was taken aback by the beauty of this city from the air. it looked perfect and bright and i was reminded again of why i am drawn to this burning-alive city. oh, new york. you get me every time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...then at last you see the towers of the palace/silhouetted on the sky above the park/and below them is a row of lighted windows/like a lovely diamond necklace in the dark"

Your post reminded me of Lesley Ann Warren singing those lyrics from Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella. I love that song. I sing it a lot. I actually made a whole car full of people listen to it on the way to our senior prom (it's about going to the ball, so I felt it was appropriate for the occasion, although I'm pretty sure Cinderella's ball did not have a bunch of half naked high schoolers sex-dancing to hip hop songs). I really enjoy reading your blog. :)